Saturday, May 7, 2016

Cosmic Brain Fart Volume 1: M3WD Addendum

Greetings fellow readers of this blog, all five of you, I must apologize in the length of time in between blog entries. I’ve been….. distracted since then and the procrastination bug had hit me rather hard when I had the bright idea of drawing my own pictures for still future entries to better illustrate the Hard Space Opera setting that is Crongus Wars.

I’m still in the “process” of readying such images but until then allow me to introduce to all you readers that have stood by my silence all these years with a new entry addition: the Cosmic Brain Farts!

Now, since I’m not sure if edits to a blog entry would ever send alerts to those who subscribe to these blogs of mine, I figure that for major world changing (heh!) alterations to this setting of mine that I should do these separately to see if these random thoughts are going anywhere or if they’re stuck in the mud before I make them official codex or whatever is the fancy lexicon for setting canon nowadays…..

Anyway, to inaugurate this potentially new series of blog entries, I would like to direct your collective attention towards my FTL entry, to be specific the Interplanetary Warp Drive.

When I returned to a particular Rocketpunk Manifesto blog entry to read back what I had written down in a futile attempt to recover my Hyperspace Warp Dive equation, I recalled earlier entries that gave the ideas that eventually formed the previously mentioned blog entry, a brain fart began to form.
However, this didn’t give form until later on after I recalled an Artifexian video on moons as shown below:


However, the brain fart didn’t take actual form until I had the idea of using the Force of Gravity Equation to somehow construct a Warp Drive derivative equation to help one to measure how much the gravity of a planet, moon, or similar celestial body would disrupt the warp bubble and potentially measure the inefficiency such a mass would affect said warp bubble after taking into account the stellar mass of the planetary system’s host star and naturally not accounting for planetary systems that are binary or have more “suns” for lack of a better lexicon. I know that I made the declaration that the M3WD cannot operate within twenty radii of said planet. After I did some calculations with Earth as an example, I found that for other worlds the orbital limit for the M3WD was the equivalent to High Earth Orbit. I’m not sure if this was deliberate or accidental on my part, shows you how much time had passed since the last blog entry.

It was then that the brain fart was born: Hill Spheres!

Or to be exact the Hill Sphere marks the boundary to which that particular planet’s gravity begins to affect the M3WD’s Warp Bubble and one is able to find variables based upon the spacecraft and said planet’s Force of Gravity and calculate the instability and efficiency of the M3WD before the amount of electrical energy required to maintain the “stability” of the warp bubble becomes infinite and thus cannot be achieved within a certain orbital radius of both the spacecraft’s mass in question and said planet or moon while within the celestial body’s hill sphere.

With M3WD-equipped System Patrol spacecrafts typically around the kilometer scale, I forsee the equivalent of Lunar Orbit (said Natural Satellite’s own Hill Sphere not withstanding) or somewhere around 40 or 60 planetary radii. Smaller, non-interplanetary spacecraft with M3WDs, however, would be able to operate deeper into the Hill Sphere with the potential limit being two celestial body radii. Realistically, said spacecraft would have a practical limit of the Semi-Synchronous Orbital Radii because, well, traffic.

That idea soon evolve into an additional justification for space fighters. I don’t recall where, but there was an online article which describes to the absolute annoyance of me that spacefighters aren’t a tactically effective weapon platform because they and their carrier spacecraft have similar acceleration. In the Blue Water Navy, their aircraft carriers have a limited acceleration and speed compared to aircraft due to different mediums that they must travel through. But this brain fart, this beautiful bolt of inspiration when it comes to M3WDs and space fighters allows a discrepency of acceleration and speed that makes them comparable to an Aircraft Carrier when within a Hill Sphere: The carrier mothercraft is parked in a Combat Operational Orbit, for lack of a better military terminology, and deploys space fighters for patrol and interception when within a Hill Sphere that may be more crowded due to the orbital development level of said planet and especially one that is habited.

Granted, the carrier mothercraft is fully capable of outrunning its compliment of space fighters due to greater endurance and ISP, but the space fighter is able to travel a much shorter distance thanks to its M3WD and will ultimately travel farther than its carrier mothercraft over a similar time frame. Not only that, but said celestial body serves as a kind of “Horizon” where the strengths of standard sci-fi spacecraft weaponry is greatly hindered because not many of them can move in a ballistic trajectory to hit something on the far side of said planet when that deep into the hill sphere. Space fighters will be able to traverse this “Horizon” to either act as spotters for the spaceship’s more ballistic weapons such as missiles and KEW rounds, but also perform direct combat with hostile forces upon that far side with limited aid from the constellation. Add to the fact that without satellite or similar means of communication relays, the ability to utilize drones in such a situation is heavily diminished and dictates to Space Force commanders that space fighters have to be manned if not also due to the technical nature of the Fuel-Charged M3WDs as compared to capital spacecraft M3WDs.

Now that I think of it, I’m not sure what the effect an Alcubierre Metric-style drive would have to radio and (to a lesser degree) laser communications. I want to say that there is a distortion that would make such communications while in use extremely difficult unless the sender has an incredibly powerful radio antenna array (and by powerful, I mean HUGE) compared to the M3WD-equipped spacecraft. Or, in essence, the M3WD-equipped spacecraft can receive but not send while the Warp Bubble is “up” and would probably make for a not-so-effective drone while it’s activated. Chances are I’m wrong though, but it’s an idea. The same can be said of weapons fire while on an M3WD, though I have the feeling that rather then the fire not being able to pass through the warp bubble, the warp bubble instead distorts the trajectory of the weapon fire and the firing solution compensations make it a task for only the desperate. Meaning that if the idea holds true, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t to be completely honest, one cannot “Run and Gun” when the warp bubble is activated. Not if you want to make every shot count anyway.

Heck, I’m not even sure what would happen if two warp bubbles come into contact with one another. I’d like to think it’ll occur like in the following video:


Though something tells me it wouldn’t be as interesting. In fact, I bet it’s more suicidal than ideal and every bit as explosive for both parties. Eh, what can you expect? It’s a brain fart.

Oh! And while we’re on the subject at hand, I’d like to turn towards the HWDS. To be exact the characteristic of the Dive-Out Vortex appearing at the equatorial plane of the celestial body in question rather than at the opposite rotational pole. This particular brain fart came after the above and I figured that I’ll hit two birds in one stone.

Basically, and I’m pretty sure I’m butchering orbital mechanics as we know it let alone any scientifically accurate terminology for the subject at hand, the Dive-Out Vortex emerges at the Tropics and Temperate Latitudes of the destination's opposing hemisphere compared to the Dive-In Vortex of the Origin body.


Okay, so mathematically the Dive-Out Vortex still appears upon the opposite hemisphere of the star or planet of origin, but it’s not within the Polar Circles. My brainfart is that the Dive-Out Vortex is, essentially, swung out from the center of the star and increases in altitude until it reaches an orbit not unlike a rocket launch. Heck, the velocity of the Dive-Out Vortex can be used to measure when exactly a spacecraft would Dive-Out into Mittespacetime, give or take a few hours. The Dive-Out Vortex can even collect mass an energy along the ascend. The flow in which one can track and calculate the predicted mass of the Diving-Out spacecraft, plus or minus a few grams/joules to take into consideration velocity of the initial Dive-In.

And I just realized that such a method would actually strip a planet of its own matter whenever an interplanetary Hyperspacetime Warp Dive occurs. Yeah, that definitely rules out the idea of doing Hyperspacetime Warp Dives…. Or I can just make a statement that the Dive-out Vortex is micro-scaled and doesn’t take in any matter until it reaches orbital altitude and thus grows into a proper Dive-Out Vortex in space. I’m probably wrong, but my mathematical paygrade isn’t enough for me to either justify or denounce the idea. Eh, it’s a start so that’s something, right?

Anyway, discuss below and please, try to be civil in your responses. And speaking of responses, I would respond more easily if you display your screen name in your comments. It helps me to respond properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment